About Maydencroft Limited
Founded in 2007 by Managing Director Tom Williams, Maydencroft has at its core traditional values with a modern approach. By focusing on quality, performance and customer experience whilst always prioritising our people and the environment, Maydencroft is built to last, alongside the exceptional landscapes we create, restore and maintain.
From that small but ambitious beginning, our commitment to quality has made us today’s market leaders in a range of specialist services. From forestry and farmland, to rivers and wetlands, from historic landscapes to new developments and from creating nature reserves to spectacular urban landscaping projects. We work with a broad range of clients within the commercial, private, public, utility and charity sectors who rely on our dedicated teams and hi-tech, innovative equipment and vehicles.
The future for Maydencroft means continual focus on the quality of our work and providing the best experience for our clients. We are dedicated to finding ways of becoming even more efficient and green, and to ensuring that we employ, train and retain only the very best people.
It is our mission to be the company that everyone wants to work for and work with.
We are delighted to be offering an exciting opportunity for a Principal Ecologist to join the consultancy team at Maydencroft Limited. We are a small, close knit group of landscape, ecological and forestry consultants working as an integral part of a larger organisation which includes arborists, foresters, groundsmen, landscape operatives and farm workers.
We are looking for an experienced, qualified and ambitious Principal Ecologist who can help us to offer unparalleled ecological expertise and services to our existing high profile clients within the commercial, public, private, utility and charity sectors, and to assist us in growing and developing the company to ever greater heights. At Maydencroft we greatly value professional integrity, a dedicated yet flexible work ethic, and impeccable standards of quality.
We are in a position to offer the option of being based either from our beautiful Maydencroft Manor head office in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, or from our equally scenic regional office overlooking Windsor Castle in the village of Dorney.
3. Key responsibilities
As Principal Ecologist for Maydencroft Limited you will be required to deliver a range of ecological consultancy services to an exceptional standard, taking projects through from inception to completion. Although working within a team of consultants, the role will require a large degree of self-sufficiency to fully lead on and develop the ecological side of the company. While we can offer an established portfolio of clients and opportunities, there is huge scope for growth and as such would ideally suit a candidate with great ambition and the desire to take on a challenge.
The job role will include:
- Liaising with clients, attending site meetings and producing quotations and costed proposals;
- Undertaking field survey work and report writing for a range of ecological consultancy work including Phase 1 Habitat Surveys, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, and Ecological Impact Assessments;
- Working closely with other consultants on joint projects such as Habitat Management Plans and Ancient Woodland Restoration Assessments;
- Provision of an advisory service to all other divisions of Maydencroft Limited;
- Line manager to an Assistant Ecologist with the responsibility of managing their work programme, providing day-to-day support, and nurturing their career development;
- Delegating work as required and managing the appointment and performance of seasonal Field Surveyors;
- Working to both client and company deadlines to ensure timely completion of projects and to meet financial targets;
- Managing quality through exceptional attention to detail and constant proofing and feedback on work produced by your staff and colleagues;
- Developing new business opportunities for the company based on your own particular skills, qualifications and experience;
- Building strong relationships with our existing clients, suppliers, and associated consultancies.
4. Core skills and requirements
- A degree in ecology or a related subject;
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a related discipline;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of UK and European legislation related to protected species and habitats;
- Excellent understanding of the UK planning system and extensive experience contributing to planning applications;
- Excellent verbal communication and report writing skills, and the ability to produce work to the highest standard;
- Strong field surveyor skills including extended Phase 1 Habitat Surveys, botanical and protected species surveys;
- Proven experience of line managing staff and overseeing teams of field surveyors;
- Full member of CIEEM;
- Appropriate protected species survey licences (Level 2 Bat Licence, GCN, reptiles, dormice etc)
- Ability to put together appropriately designed survey strategies, develop viable mitigation approaches, and to manage EPS licence applications from start to finish;
- Technical proficiency using GIS software and Microsoft Office;
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage project finances;
- Full UK driving licence and willingness to travel;
- Highly professional, affable and ambitious.
5. Desirable skills / qualifications
- A masters level qualification or higher;
- Chartered Ecologist or Environmentalist;
- Experience of being an expert witness at a planning inquiry;
- Experience of preparing Ecological Impact Assessments and Habit Regulation Assessments;
- Technical proficiency in specialist software such as AutoCAD and Photoshop;
- Tree Climbing & Aerial Tree Rescue qualification.
6. Reporting to
Matt Perry (Head of Consultancy and Ecology).
7. Day to day liaison
Colleagues across all divisions of Maydencroft Limited
8. The workplace
Option to work from either of our two offices:
- Head Office, Maydencroft Manor, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 7QA
- Regional Office, Pigeon House Farm, Dorney, Windsor, SL4 6QB
Competitive package for the right candidate.
10. Contract length
Permanent (subject to successful completion of a six month probation period)
- Annual pay rises subject to performance;
- Pension scheme;
- Training budget;
- Tax free childcare voucher scheme;
- Use of our fleet of work vehicles.
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter (to include a personal statement) to email@example.com