AECOM is seeking experienced ecologists to join our dynamic and forward-thinking ecology team based in the heart of Birmingham’s vibrant city centre. Whether you’re a technical expert with a specialism in a particular species or group, or you’re a generalist who enjoys working on a range of projects, we can provide the platform to create and shape your own role. We are particularly interested to welcome ecologists with specialisms in herpetofauna, chiroptera or riparian mammals into the team. This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established and successful business that has welfare and wellbeing as core values.
As a principal or associate ecologist with AECOM, you’ll be reliable, hard-working, organised and pro-active, in order to help you manage a busy workload. You’ll have specialist knowledge developed over the course of your career, and experience of a wide range of projects. You’ll have good project management skills and report-writing skills, and some experience of line-managing individuals. Experience in creating and managing large datasets and using GIS applications to better capture data from field surveys would be an advantage.
The Central England Ecology Team (Birmingham, Nottingham and Chesterfield) is unique in that whilst we enjoy the benefits and security of a large corporation, we work as a small close-knit ecology consultancy and understand the importance of welfare and wellbeing. We have mentors within the team who provide support at a personal level and guide the development of skills and experience. There is a programme of internal training courses and a generous budget for external training aligned to your professional development goals. We have an annual UK ecology conference with skill- and knowledge-sharing workshops to upskill and strengthen the team – this year we also held a dedicated Central Ecology 1-day conference at Conkers near Swadlincote. We promote a healthy work-life balance: we offer flexible working hours to suit your commitments, and fun social team activities throughout the year. At our Grade II listed ecology office in Birmingham we have free weekly Pilates classes and an organic DIY fresh juice bar.
Our UK Ecology Team comprises over 160 ecologists based across the UK and covers all terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. We provide our clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. AECOM offers the opportunity to work on high profile, challenging and innovative projects, alongside a highly competitive benefits package and as part of a forward-thinking and successful national Ecology Team.
Working as part of the existing network of AECOM ecologists within the UK and Ireland;
Assisting in the winning, delivery and management (technical and financial) of ecological projects;
Writing and providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables;
Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies;
Managing and mentoring staff as part of our mentoring / line management network;
Represent AECOM externally through projects, client management, publications and presentations;
Undertaking other tasks which add value to the technical expertise and development of the ecology team, or support wider environmental business goals.
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EC wildlife legislation and policy, as well as Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA);
- Holder of relevant protected species survey licences, and preferably also mitigation licences;
- Experience of Phase 1 Habitat and protected species surveys and licensing;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of delivering ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budgets;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment, design and/or construction management, ideally on major infrastructure projects in the UK;
- Strong project management skills and experience (including technical, financial and quality aspects);
- Full Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria), or other relevant professional body;
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety, including first aid training certificate;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in particular, the ability to write concise technical reports;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients, as well as to manage own time;
- Experience in line management as well as technical leadership of teams of ecologists on major projects;
- Electronic data capture, analysis and presentation;
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand;
- Adaptable and flexible approach to work to meet peaks in demands (as all roles are likely to involve occasional longer/and or unsociable hours and a degree of working away from home for days/ weeks at a time);
- A track record in, or aspirations for, continuing professional development and supporting the development / management of junior ecologists.
- You will have a BSc in a relevant subject;
- A higher degree (MSc / PhD) would be an advantage;
- You will show evidence of ongoing vocational training;
- You will be eligible for or have full membership of CIEEM or another relevant professional body – chartership (CEnv or CEcol) would be an advantage;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK;
- Formal project management qualifications.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity,The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Ecology
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 204685BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.