Are you a freshwater aquatic ecologist, looking for your next exciting role in the commercial sector? If you are commercially aware, self-motivated, organised, with excellent communication and project management skills, we would love to hear from you.
All levels considered
Guildford or Cardiff
Full time, permanent
We are looking for a technical specialist to join our small, dynamic team. You will be responsible for leading surveys and undertaking data analysis, including the interpretation of aquatic ecology indices describing the status or health of a river system. The role will also include project management and delivery of the macroinvertebrate, diatom and phytoplankton work streams. You will support the delivery of fish population monitoring and fish rescue work, undertaking river ecology habitat scores.
You will either be working at Assistant level, or already be an established consultant with a wealth of experience within commercial consultancy and as such, you will ideally have experience of undertaking business development, preparing quotes and tenders, and building client relationships.
- Have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, specifically within the commercial environmental sector
- Have macroinvertebrate identification skills to at least family level (TL3) and ideally mixed taxon level (TL5)
- Hold a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in Aquatic Ecology, Hydro-ecology or a related subject
- Be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of aquatic ecology, legislation, and survey techniques
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports as well as communicate confidently with clients and stakeholders
- Be organised with proven ability to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously
- Be able and willing to travel and stay away from home
- Have a full UK driving licence and use of a car
- Have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Ideally you will:
- Have experience of leading and motivating a team of both site and office based staff
- Have a proven work winning track record and experience of preparing bids and tenders, winning work and generating new business opportunities.
As a fast growing, UK wide environmental service consultancy, Thomson provide a range of specialist services across all ecosystems, with a view to gaining consents and meeting environmental planning conditions.
Our marine division, Thomson Unicomarine, was founded over 30 years ago, and the team comprises international experts in marine biology and taxonomy. We have provided specialist marine data management solutions for commercial developers and government bodies, such as the Environment Agency, Cefas and Northern Ireland Environment Agency. We help clients obtain licences and consents for offshore renewable energy, decommissioning, and other marine constructions, oil and gas extraction, sewage outfalls, fish farms, navigational dredging and disposal, beach recharging, aggregate extraction and all near-shore developments.
Working in a happy, friendly workplace, with a wide range of specialisms, our teams are guided by the core values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. We provide fantastic on-the-job training, opportunities for progression and a range of company benefits including 25 days annual leave, a stakeholder pension scheme, discounted gym membership, childcare vouchers, free parking and regular social events.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- Private pension contributions
- Collaborative and supportive culture
- Flexible working
- Fantastic on-the-job training
- Opportunities for career progression
- Regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party
- Paid mileage, travel & subsistence, whilst away from home
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking
- The option to take extended periods of leave during quieter months
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted outdoor clothing
- Fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure
“Thomson has provided me with the opportunity to manage a diverse portfolio of projects from a variety of sectors. The company fosters a positive atmosphere where everyone feels valued. The support team are fantastic and work tirelessly to make life easier for everyone else. Thomson thrives on innovation and actively engages with research institutes to improve the effectiveness of its survey methods. People are recognised for their achievements and there are plenty of opportunities for career progression. I recommend Thomson for anyone considering a career in ecology.” – Will T.
“Thomson really cares about its staff, providing flexible working arrangements to help people work around their family commitments. The team culture is great with lots of support and training opportunities. I have always felt genuinely supported and respected, making me want to give my best back to the company.” – Kate T.
This is a permanent position based at our head office on the picturesque Surrey Research Park in Guildford, or in central Cardiff. The successful candidate will live within commuting distance of these offices or be prepared to relocate.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and a convincing covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (max 500 words) to [email protected]