Ground Control is the UK’s fastest growing external maintenance and commercial landscaping company. We were established in 1973 as a Grounds Maintenance company, becoming incorporated as a limited company in 1984.
We offer a truly national service that includes grounds maintenance, winter maintenance, tree works and vegetation management, soft and hard landscaping, ecology, design & build, pest control and fencing. Ground Control is the contractor of choice for many well-known private and public organisations – Network Rail, Tesco, Severn Trent Water, Sainsbury’s, Arqiva and the Tower of London to name a few.
As a multi-award winning company, Ground Control now holds 25 BALI National Landscape Awards for a range of Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance projects, a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Innovation, and a total of 7 RoSPA Gold Awards for Occupational Health & Safety.
Due to expansion we have a brand new opportunity for an Ecology Manager to primarily lead and support the Highways England framework which Ground Control have been awarded the landscaping contract.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the delivery of all ecological contract works including; resourcing, coordination and planning for works that may take place 7 days a week across both day and night
- Managing consultant ecologists
- Management of the Ecology budget
- Creation of risk assessments’ and method statements and management of on-site health & safety protocol
- Close liaison with our in-house contracting delivery team
- Production of interpretative reports
- Preparation of protected species licensing applications
- Delivery, co-ordination and supervision of notable/protected species, watching briefs with internal/external operatives
- Working proactively and developing strong relationships within the wider company.
- Supporting wider Ecology works beyond the Highways England contract where required.
We are looking for applications from experienced Ecology professionals with solid ecological consultancy experience working on large infrastructure projects.
You should be experienced in liaising with clients and various stakeholders, with a proven ability to identify and facilitate solutions.
The candidate will ideally have some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Full Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management
- Hold a relevant degree, or equivalent
- Have a minimum of 3 years practical experience
- Be able to work under own initiative and be able to prioritize workloads
- Hold at least one protected species license
- Attention to detail, a high level of accuracy and plenty of initiative
- Will have detailed knowledge of relevant aspects of UK and EU environmental legislation and confidence when advising clients on wildlife issues
- Have excellent communication skills to allow effective liaison with planners, developers, professional advisors, contractors, landowners, the general public and other
- Be personable, a team player and experience with client interface
- Be in possession of a full UK driving license
- Have experience of working in highways
- Be willing to travel and have a full and clean driving license
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice.
Through our absolute focus on customer service and outstanding delivery, we are the most respected company in our chosen field. We inspire each other to be the best that we can be. Ground Control is owned by its employees and as a result, we share the responsibilities of ownership as well as its rewards. Our values are the key to or ongoing success and we are looking for passionate candidates with like-minded values of:
- Delivering outstanding customer service
- Innovation and embracing change
- Valuing each other
- Acting with integrity and honouring our commitments
- Seeking value in everything we do
- A desire to win