Egis is a global consulting and engineering firm working in construction, transport and mobility services. Our mission: create and operate intelligent infrastructure and buildings to further the transition to a low-carbon economy and contribute to more balanced and sustainable territorial development. To support our growth dynamic, we offer a wide variety of career opportunities in more than 100 countries. Joining our Group and its 16,000 employees means, above all, sharing our values as a people-first company, strongly committed to sustainability and innovation.
Contract type: Permanent contract
Business Unit specific context
The MENS’ BU (Project structuring, Operation and New Services) is one of the world leaders in the financial project structuring of PPP projects, as well as in the operation of infrastructures and services. In the road sector, Egis operates and maintains 44 roads and highways, including civil structures such as bridges, viaducts and tunnels. Through 28 operating companies, Egis employs more than 9,300 people in more than 20 countries, i.e. nearly 4,400 km.
In the airport sector, our BU operates, maintains and develops a network of 17 airports around the world, handling more than 30 million passengers and 330,000 tons of freight per year.
The MENS’ BU also offers a wide range of services for its customers such as electronic toll collection, interoperability and on-street parking management.
M25, one of our flagship projects!
Egis and our joint venture partners have formed Connect Plus Services (CPS), which is the company responsible for managing one of the busiest motorways in Europe through Highways England’s largest Design build Finance operate (DBFO) contract. With over 600 people working across CPS and the contract running to 2039, this is a great opportunity to build an important part of your career on a major highways project.
On the M25 and other international Egis projects, our teams have extensive opportunities to develop diverse ranges of expertise and experience whilst contributing to the successful delivery of key services.
- Undertake ecological surveys
- Good plant identification skills and willingness to develop
- Provide ecological advice to designers and contractors on site
- Undertake Extended Phase 1 or similar habitat surveys for Biodiversity Metric calculations.
- Lead on the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 3 Appraisal Tool (or as adapted for Highways England)
- Contribute to the build up baseline Metric data for the DBFO Co
- Assess post-scheme Metric data using scheme proposals and developing such proposals with the Assistant Ecologist
- Undertake environmental assessments
- Data input using GIS Collector App and preparation of reports
- Advise on biodiversity metrics, ecological matters and habitat/conservation management
- Develop ecological Designated Funds schemes with biodiversity metrics in line with the Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3 periods
- Calculate biodiversity off-setting units required
- Supervise contractors undertaking works on site
- Support the EIA team by providing baseline and post-scheme biodiversity calculations and Ecological advice where necessary
- Other Environmental Team tasks as required
- Minimum of a degree in a relevant ecological or environmental management with demonstrable practical work in Phase 1 or similar surveys
- Membership of a professional body relevant to ecology, such as the Chartered Institute for Ecology and Environmental Management
- Working knowledge of the DEFRA Biodiversity Metric 2 calculation, UK Habitat Classification and tools.
- Holder of one or more of any European Protected Species licence issued by Natural England – preferably for great crested newts and hazel dormice
- Proven ecological survey, ecological mitigation and site management skills
- Previous project management experience or delivery of environmental improvements preferred but not essential.
- Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Understanding of landscape management techniques
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding of the Environmental Impact Assessment process
- Knowledge of ISO14001 and Environmental Management Systems
- Some industry experience preferable but not mandatory
- Competent in Microsoft Office Applications
Job location: South Mimms (around London)
Minimum level of education required: 4-Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Minimum level of experience required: 2-5 years