We are part of a consortium including Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK – creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
As part of our 30-year remit to manage and improve the capital’s orbital motorway network, we deliver major improvement projects, such widening 38 miles of the M25, refurbishing tunnels and bridges, and installing hundreds of variable messaging signs and gantries, helping to maximise the use of the network and deliver more reliable journeys. We also manage the Dartford River crossing, and operate and maintain 440 kilometres of motorway providing our customer and road user with a world-class highway service.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
We are also Silver Award holders in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
We are currently looking for an Ecologist to join us here working out of our South Mimms or Dartford office.
Main Purpose of the Job:
- To organise and carry out ecological surveys on the M25 DBFO
- To take a lead with the design of ecological Designated Funds schemes and assist with Project Management of the schemes
- To provide ecological advice to designers and contractors on site
- To undertake environmental assessments
- Ecological surveys, data input using GIS Collector App and preparation of reports
- Advise on ecological matters and habitat/conservation management
- Development and Project Management of ecological Designated Funds schemes
- Write reports and liaise with other members of the Environment Team to input the information into the network database.
- Assist with environmental assessments of schemes.
- Make out work schedules resulting from inspections and carry out technical audits on environmental works.
- Assist with environmental depot audits.
- Other Environmental Team tasks as required
Working Arrangements (Need for travel etc.):
- Current UK driving licence
- Significant level of travel around M25 network
- To be based in CPS offices at South Mimms or Dartford, with significant travel around the M25 network.
- Lone working maybe required.
- Very occasionally night work maybe required for ecological supervision.
Qualifications / Skills / Experience:
- Minimum of a degree in a relevant ecological or environmental management with minimum of two years of practical work
- Membership of a professional body relevant to ecology, such as the Chartered Institute for Ecology and Environmental Management
- Holder of one or more of any European Protected Species licence issued by Natural England – preferably for great crested newts and hazel dormice
- Previous project management experience or delivery of environmental improvements preferred but not essential.
- Proven ecological survey, ecological mitigation and site management skills
- Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Understanding of landscape management techniques
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding of the Environmental Impact Assessment process
- Knowledge of ISO14001 and Environmental Management Systems
- Some industry experience preferable but not mandatory
- Competent in Microsoft Office Applications
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation
- Excellent communicator and team player
- A problem solver
- Good time management skills, and ability to act autonomously
- An interest in developing your career within the environmental management industry