We are looking for ambitious and passionate consultant ecologists to join our expanding UK ecology team. This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established and successful consultancy that is working on some of the most significant projects in the UK.
The Ecologist will deliver ecological consultancy and advisory services to both internal and external clients to a high level of technical quality and to programme and budget.
The successful candidates will be responsible for undertaking field work, co-ordinating and managing projects and producing high quality technical reports.
The role is based in our Cardiff office. We have a range of interesting projects across the UK so the successful candidate must be prepared to travel. The successful candidates will live within commuting distance of Cardiff or will be prepared to relocate.
- Supporting liaison with project managers and clients on the delivery of ecological requirements within multi-disciplinary tenders and projects;
- Carrying out desk studies and field based habitat, botanical, protected and non-native invasive species surveys.
- Undertaking the analysis, evaluation, interpretation and presentation of ecological data, including production of technical reports;
- Delivery of protected species and habitat surveys; analysis and evaluation of results, impact assessments;
- Performing the role of an Ecological Clerk of Works on construction projects;
- Communicating effectively with their line manager, project managers, clients, project teams and other members of the ecology team, within projects and with clients by telephone, e-mail, letters and reports;
- Compliance with internal business management procedures, including in relation to health and safety and technical quality of all advice and outputs; and,
- Undertaking other tasks which add value to the development of the ecology team or support wider environmental business goals, as required.
Specific Skills Required:
- Have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, ideally within a commercial consultancy
- Have field skills in one or more specialist areas;
- Be competent at undertaking Phase 1 Habitat Surveys;
- Have basic botanical skills;
- Have knowledge of UK an EU ecology legislation and policy, as well as experience of Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) using CIEEM and other approaches, and survey techniques and an enthusiasm for keeping up to date with new technologies and best practice;
- Have knowledge and experience of electronic data capture, analysis and presentation including skills in using ArcGIS;
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and contractors on site;
- Be commercially aware with experience of working to budgets;
- Have excellent written communication skills and be able to produce and review accurate technical reports;
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety, including first aid training certificate;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of working to a high standard, on time and within agreed budgets;
- Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria),or other relevant professional body;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Strong and versatile problem solving and inter-personal skills, including motivating others;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues as well as to manage own time;
- Be willing to work unsociable hours and spend time away from home;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Have ecological consultancy experience
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand.
- Possibility for the 6 month position to be extended into a permanent role.
- Competent in undertaking bat call analysis;
- Ideally have at least one protected species licence;
- Project management training and certification; and
- Have good data management skills, ability to deal with large datasets and have an eye for detail.
- Recognised degree in a biological, science or related discipline – a relevant post graduate qualification in one of these would be advantageous;
- Holder of relevant protected species survey (and mitigation licences), or ability and willingness to work towards holding such licences;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Ecology
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Temporary
Requisition/Vacancy No. 206563BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.