Stantec have an exciting opportunity for a Chartered Ecologist to join our team in Cardiff on a permanent basis.
Globally, Stantec is one of the leading consultants in Environmental Services and one of the top engineering consultancies in the NCE listings. Stantec has been selected by key Clients across the UK as a strategic consultancy provider.
We have exciting opportunities for the right professional person to join our Sustainable Development & Environment Team. This team delivers projects for a number of UK water utilities and private clients in the UK . We have a growing backlog of work and are seeking an Ecologist to support our programmes of work for our clients within a number of key sectors.
As part of Stantec’s integrated team of environmental professionals you will be expected to provide advice relating to the ecological and biodiversity aspects of a project to both to our internal and external clients working within the core ecology discipline team. Your day to day activities will include undertaking field surveys, site supervision, writing reports and mitigation strategies and managing projects to budgets and deadlines.
You will have the opportunity to develop Stantec’s ecology business, supporting bids and seeking new work. You will also be encouraged to expand the ecology teams’ capabilities, through research and innovation.
The sucsessful candidate will be responsible for ecological subcontractors, approving scope of works, undertaking technical reviews and the mentoring of staff. Good communication skills are essential as you will be liaising with clients, project managers statutory bodies and other project stakeholders including contactors.
Our collaborative approach ensures the projects we deliver meet our client’s needs in a sustainable manner. We embrace new technologies and design with communities in mind.
The successful candidate will have/be:
- A degree in ecology, wildlife management, conservation or other related environmental discipline;
- Proven consultancy experience or able to demonstrate sound knowledge of
- A full member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management;
- A strong knowledge of the practical application of UK wildlife legislation, planning policy and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), including the Water Framework Directive;
- Experience across a range of UK habitats and protected species and hold at least one protected species licence, ideally bat, great crested newt and/or dormouse or have extensive ornithological experience;
- Experience of designing and delivering site specific Protected Species Licencing and ecological method statements;
- Experience in Habitats Regulations Assessment Stages 1 and 2;
- Experience in designing and conducting ecological surveys and report writing;
- Experience in BREEAM Assessment;
- Experience of managing and/or directing ecological projects;
- Experience in leadership relating to the safety, technical and commercial aspects of an ecology business, including line management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- UK Driving licence;
- Flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role, including occasional longer/and or unsociable hours, and to work away from home on occasions;
- Willing to undertake other tasks to support the wider environmental business, as required
- Be an active member (present or submit presentations) of given ecology related professional institutions (RSB, CIEEM, IFM)
Desirable skills, knowledge and aptitudes for the role:
- Have held a mitigation licence for bats, great crested newts or dormice in the past three years;
- Have chartered environmentalist or ecologist status.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer
At Stantec, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important asBuilding a Better World .
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world’s top talent appeals to you, join us.
Stantec…we’re looking for opportunities.
Requisition Number: 16161BR
Job Category: Environmental Services
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom