Consultant & Senior Ecologists – Exeter & Bristol
Position: Full time, Permanent
GE Consulting are looking for experienced ecologists to join our vibrant team with opportunities in our Exeter (head) office or Bristol office.
GE is a mid-sized (25+), privately owned consultancy with an excellent reputation. Working for a wide variety of clients across the south of England and into Wales, we are big enough to work on major projects (1000+ unit residential schemes, 1000-acre renewables sites, national utilities contract etc.) yet small enough to feel like you are part of a close-knit team and not a small cog in a huge international organization. We are a company that puts its staff first, creating a fun non-corporate atmosphere where a love of wildlife is shared across a team of like-minded people and where work life balance is practised not just preached. We look to develop and nurture our ecologist’s with plenty of training and mentoring giving them a fulfilling career.
These roles will vary depending on your level of experience but we require ecologists that are capable of conducting surveys, writing reports and managing projects. Should you be appointed as a Senior Ecologist your role could include line management and other responsibilities but doesn’t have to.
The individuals we are seeking will have been working in the ecological consultancy sector for a minimum of three years. We are seeking bright and enthusiastic individuals who will bring positivity and passion to our team.
Essential skills and experience
- At least three years of consultancy experience (not just ECoW but writing reports and project management)
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and client liaison
- Thorough knowledge of wildlife legislation and the planning system leading to confidence in providing technical advice to clients.
- Full range of survey skills including PEA/BNG survey and protected species surveys
- Experience with using the DEFRA BNG metrics
- Be a member of CIEEM
- Attention to detail and the ability to deliver contracts on time and to budget
- A client-focused approach where the commercial element of each project can be understood and appreciated
- The ability to work in a team or for longer periods of time alone
- Flexible approach to working hours to accommodate seasonality and survey time constraints.
- Full driving license
Desirable skills and experience
- A Class 2 bat licence
- Full membership with CIEEM
- Experience of writing ES chapters and or HRA’s
- Experience of writing EPSL applications, preferably held in your name
- QGIS skills
Salary and benefits
- A salary to match your grade and experience
- A fun and friendly non-corporate working environment
- A non targeted bonus linked to overall company performance
- Plenty of CPD opportunities and mentoring
- Paid leave to volunteer for a charity
- Company socials
- Your birthday off work
- Contributory pension scheme
- All TOIL given back across the year
- Flexible home working options and hours of work
- Increasing annual leave with length of service
- Paid professional membership
GE are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. Full equality & diversity policy available on request.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: As soon as we find the right people!