Freedom Environmental Land Management are currently recruiting a Consultant Ecologist to be based from Home, you will cover the South East region of the UK.
The Consultant Ecologist will be a key part of the strong delivery team, working closely with the Principal Environmental Consultant. Within our current frameworks Freedom delivers advice on land management strategy and planning, habitat creation and management, ecological surveys and impact assessment, biodiversity net gain and ecological compensation strategies, forestry and woodland management, agricultural land management and scheme advice, landscape assessment, pest control, land restoration and soils, drainage, health, safety and environmental compliance, public access and recreation, invasive species, appointment and management of contractors, stakeholder liaison, reporting and a wide range of other land management related activities.
As well as advising on and scoping all works, Freedom manages delivery all the way through to completion including all aspects of health and safety
- Compilation of project specific desk studies and literature reviews.
- Planning of field survey logistics, and preparation and implementation of survey methods.
- Phase 1 Habitat and protected species surveys.
- Presentation, and interpretation, of data to contribute towards survey reports.
- Assisting, or acting as, Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) to deliver onsite ecological supervision/auditing/support.
- Data gathering and mapping using GIS, including QGIS.
- Contributing to/producing high quality ecological reports.
- Contribution to Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIAs).
- Contribution to BNG assessments.
- Contribution to habitat management plans.
- Understanding and writing risk assessments for safe site work.
- Managing small-scale projects and supporting office management and administrative tasks.
You will have:
- To hold an in-depth knowledge of ecology and survey techniques.
- At least 3 years of demonstrable consultancy experience (or equivalent within the industry) reflecting the elements listed above.
- Confident in Phase 1 habitats/UKHAB surveys and basic botanical skills.
- Confident in field survey covering a range of British wildlife (typically: bats, badger, otter, pine marten, red squirrel, water vole, GCN, etc.). Particular species specialisms are welcomed.
- Qualifying or Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
- A good understanding of current wildlife and environmental legislation, policy trends, standards and established ecological guidance.
- A degree in Ecology, Biodiversity, Conservation Management, Environmental Science, or a relevant subject.
- Protected species class licence holder (bats as a preference) – Desirable.
- Having been a Named Ecologist or an Accredited Agent on EPSL’s and badger mitigation licences – Desirable.
Freedom are part of the NG Bailey Group, one of the leading independent engineering and services businesses in the UK. Founded in 1921, with a turnover of £500m and 3000 employees, we are proud of our history of developing great people through our investment in training.
Working across a variety of sectors within the building and infrastructure industry, our innovative, responsible and forward thinking approach allows us to work on fantastic ground-breaking projects, providing solutions using the latest tools and technologies
Progression is something we value and we’ll make sure that when you join us you have a clearly defined development path, supported by regular reviews, training and ongoing support to enable you to be the best you can be