Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Birmingham, Cardiff, Guildford, Leeds and Manchester, our teams provide: ecological advice; undertake surveys and assessments; habitat design and creation; ecological contracting; invasive species management; freshwater and marine consultancy; arboriculture consultancy and contracting; data management and mapping; and marine laboratory services (invertebrates, fish and sediment analyses).
You can find out more about the type, size and scope of the projects we work on here: https://www.thomsonec.com/projects/
We have a unique opportunity for someone with vision, entrepreneurial flair, and technical expertise to establish and develop our climate change and sustainability offering in the marketplace. Your primary responsibility will involve researching opportunities and developing strategic propositions that will enable our clients to achieve climate resilience at project and corporate level, which will positively contribute to achieving the UK’s 2050 net zero target. You will win, manage and deliver projects; significantly growing the amount of climate change/sustainability work year on year, to achieve the company’s vision and financial objectives. Once the business unit is established, you will go on to build and lead a team of climate change specialists.
Ideal candidates will be working at Principal or Associate Director level, with the commercial acumen and entrepreneurial vision needed to take ownership of the establishment and growth of this new business unit. A technical expert in your field, you will have detailed knowledge of climate/net zero methodology and best practice.
This permanent position will be based in our Head Office in Guildford, with an office/home-working split based on business needs.
Successful candidates will:
- have previous experience of UK climate change/sustainability at Principal or Associate Director level
- be able to evidence a successful track record of project management with strong commercial outcomes, delivering projects on time and to budget
- have experience of driving commercial outcomes through innovative approaches
- have a demonstrable track record of identifying and winning work
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience of liaising with clients, planning authorities and key stakeholders, as well as writing technical reports and reviewing those produced by others
- be a strong team player, with the ability to integrate quickly and engage other technical specialists within the business
- have the desire to develop and grow a high-performing team
- have a full UK driving licence, use of a car and be willing to travel
As an Employee-Owned Trust, all Thomson employees have a stake in the business. An EOT model is a way to transfer future ownership of a company to its people – minimizing the chance of cultural or commercial disruptions. As a rapidly growing company, Thomson employees will reap the rewards, including performance-related annual bonuses. We’re proud of this unique opportunity to our people which makes us stand out in the environmental consultancy world.
You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including EOT approved bonuses (after a qualifying period), a rewarding varied role, 25 days annual leave, flexible working, regular social events and great training.