SLR has an excellent opportunity for an experienced ecological professional, to join our European team at SLR’s Associate or Principal grade, based in our Bristol regional office. You will would play a lead role in undertaking and delivering a range of projects across our business sectors, particularly including Power, Mining and Minerals and Built Environment. This role presents an exciting opportunity to be responsible for the delivery of ecology inputs to a number of large and complex projects.
Job Title: Associate or Principal Ecologist
Vacancy No: VN692
Employment Type: Permanent
Contract Type: Full Time
Location: Bristol, UK
With over 50 experienced Ecology professionals undertaking a wide range of projects throughout the UK, SLR Consulting leads the way in providing exemplar advice and services. We have a real passion for what we do and due to continued commercial success we have fantastic opportunities for experienced professionals to become part of the SLR team.
You would be likely to have an ecological specialism, whether it is habitat survey, protected species, ornithology or another skill and be able to demonstrate competence in a range of different areas of ecological consultancy practice and able to lead and mentor others in their chosen specialism. You will also likely to be able to demonstrate experience of business development, client and project management, preferably gained in a commercial consultancy environment.
As a forward-thinking consultancy with ambitious growth plans, SLR is a global consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Our culture, flat management structure and straightforward approach to project and budget management gives everyone the opportunity to progress and to work on interesting projects with valued clients.
Our staff enjoy agile working, which allows them to tailor their working hours around core business hours in a way that works for them and their unique personal circumstances. We have a structured career framework and regular reviews to help ensure our staff can take advantage of all opportunities to progress.
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will receive a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days annual leave (excluding public holidays); flexible working arrangements; car allowance; private health cover; death-in-service cover; professional membership subscription; and pension.
SLR are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals. We are a consultancy with over 1650 staff across 5 regions – including over 430 staff across Europe. SLR’s ‘one team’ culture is at the heart of our business; providing a collaborative and supportive environment for professional development. Along with competitive salaries, our staff enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including a company pension and healthcare offering, travel and life insurance, critical illness cover and a structured career framework with regular reviews offering outstanding opportunities for progression. Alongside 25 day’s annual leave, SLR offer agile working which allows staff to tailor hours worked around core hours, and our family friendly policies help balance the needs of professional and family life.
SLR will close the role when we have received a sufficient number of applications, so please do not delay in applying for the position.
To apply for this position please submit your application at: www.slrconsulting.com/careers. SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR’s intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
Duties will be varied but will include:
- Managing / overseeing ecological aspects of projects, advising clients on schemes such as mixed use and residential developments, minerals/waste projects, infrastructure and energy projects.
- Preparation of fee proposals and scope of works, report writing and technical review of peer and sub-contractor reports.
- Supervision and mentoring of ecology staff. Depending on skills and experience, the role may also include staff management and leading work on particular ecological specialisms.
- Scheduling, managing and ensuring delivery of complex ecological survey work packages on time and budget, using in-house and occasionally sub-contractor staff.
- Liaising with other SLR technical teams on a variety of subjects including planning, landscape, hydrology, noise and air quality whilst working closely with senior members of the ecology team in other SLR offices, both in UK and overseas.
- Seeking opportunities through coordinated business development to expand ecology and other services and capabilities in the region.
- The role will involve working with other team members located across the UK and may require short-term travel across the UK and potentially overseas, depending on client/project sites.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A passion for ecology, for delivering high quality work and for assisting the career development of other ecological professionals.
- Demonstrable field survey skills or areas of technical specialism in the field of ecology, for example: habitats and fauna survey, ecological assessment, mitigation design for protected species, BREEAM and sustainability appraisals, or Biodiversity Net Gain.
- Demonstrable competence in project management, planning work in line with health and safety procedures, budget management and technical report preparation.
- A track record in project winning, delivery and management.
- Work experience within a range of sectors including residential/mixed use, infrastructure, minerals and waste, and energy.
- Relevant degree level qualification plus appropriate level of membership of CIEEM or equivalent.
- Full driving licence.