AECOM is seeking an experienced and talented Associate to lead our established ecology team of ten ecologists in Croydon. This is a tremendous opportunity to take the next step in your career and help lead the delivery of our diverse portfolio of challenging, innovative and rewarding projects.
Our UK & Ireland ecology team comprises over 150 specialists working in terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats. We provide clients with the full range of ecological services including specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. We pride ourselves on delivering high quality and innovative technical solutions to our clients. In 2019 we were winners of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) award in the ‘Large Consultancy’ category.
The successful candidate would be responsible for managing and developing a team of ten ecologists based in our Croydon office who range from Principal to Graduate grades. This team forms part of a multi-disciplinary office that includes experts in Environmental Impact Assessment, Acoustics, Air Quality, Sustainability, and Ground Engineering as well as range of civil engineers and other technical specialists. The Croydon ecology team forms part of a wider East and South East regional ecology team which consists of over 30 ecologists and includes significant teams based in Basingstoke and Cambridge.
We have an enviable project portfolio across all market sectors with current projects including major new road and rail schemes, solar farm developments, offshore electricity grid connections, residential and commercial developments (both brownfield and greenfield sites), Habitat Regulations Assessment of local plans and advising local authorities, statutory undertakers and statutory bodies on ecology technical standards and approaches.
The role will give the opportunity to showcase your ability both leading the delivery of major projects, managing staff, and driving innovation. We will provide you with the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse workforce of highly talented professionals on projects that impact our world for the better. With AECOM, you can go as far as your ability and desire will take you. It’s about your interests and passions. It’s about the experiences you bring with you, and it’s about your goals and aspirations.
When you join us, you’ll find a highly competitive benefits package and flexible working hours to suit your lifestyle and commitments, alongside the support to develop your career in an environment that fosters your talents and encourages new ideas .
Job Duties are likely to include:
- Managing a team of ecologists based in AECOM’s Croydon office
- Working alongside the regional ecology lead to contribute to resource planning, business development and technical reviews/assurance for the east and south east region.
- Leading the delivery of ecology inputs to major projects and tenders;
- Undertaking technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables as required;
- Managing and mentoring staff;
- Managing the technical and financial performance of projects;
- Developing and promoting best practice and innovation across the UK&I ecology team; and
- Promoting the team’s ecological capabilities to both internal and external clients.
- Full Member of CIEEM, or relevant professional body;
- Demonstratable track record of delivering large scale and/or complex ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budget;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment and/or construction management on major projects;
- Experience in technical leadership of teams of ecologists;
- Experience of both undertaking and overseeing habitat and protected species surveys;
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EU wildlife legislation and policy, and an understanding of the UK planning system;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients; and
- Adaptable and flexible approach.
- Chartered Ecologist (CEcol), Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv), or other relevant Chartership.
- Holder of Natural England survey licences and/or mitigation licences.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity,The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 231757BR
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.