Job Title: Senior or Principal Ecologist
Salary: Starting at £35k (senior) or £41k (principal)
Ecology by Design are seeking a Principal Ecologist to join our team.
Ecology by Design was set up in January 2015 and we have had consistent growth ever since. We strive to employ the best and brightest and reward hard work and dedication. We provide ecology consultancy services to a wide range of clients. We pride ourselves in technical excellence and providing an innovative, pragmatic, client-friendly service. This role would suit an ambitious senior consultant that is looking to move to a growing business, or an experienced principal ecologist looking to diversify their work and help shape a young and thriving consultancy.
We are a thriving young business and we seek people who are keen to push boundaries in ecology, strive for excellence and are excited by being part of a young business. This role would be perfect for a well-rounded consultant who wants to manage a growing team, ensuring we maintain our quality, culture and performance. The project-based nature of our work means the candidate must be willing to undertake travel and work away from home with occasional overnight stays, however, we work hard to ensure our team members achieve a work-life balance and meet their personal and career objectives so have caps on the numbers of nights away or antisocial hours worked.
We work across the UK with the majority of our projects across the Home Counties, South and Midlands.
You can read more about our work on our website at www.ecologybydesign.co.uk.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Genuine and demonstrable enthusiasm for ecology and the environment;
- Experience of line managing or providing guidance to junior members of an ecology team;
- Survey licence for one or more protected species e.g. bats/ newts or a demonstrable specialist in other taxa (botany, inverts);
- Experience of habitat surveys (UK Habs/ NVC) and/or protected species surveys;
- Experience of designing and implementing mitigation;
- Experience of providing technical review of ecological reports;
- Motivated to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Good communication skills with colleagues, clients and third parties;
- Full or chartered member of CIEEM (or eligible if not currently held); and
- Full driving licence and use of a car.
- Experience of sales/ business development, or willingness to learn;
- Experience of biodiversity net gain;
- Advanced skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats;
- Demonstrable enthusiasm/ skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats, newts, botany;
- Degree or equivalent in an ecology related discipline;
- Experience of using QGIS or ArcGIS (training provided if not);
- Have held European Protected Species Mitigation (EPSM) licences for protected species e.g. great crested newt or bats; and
- Hold specialist mitigation class licences such as Bat Low Impact Class licence/ Earned Recognition or Badger class licence.
Working for Ecology by Design
- Apple computer and iPhone;
- Competitive salary;
- Professional memberships paid for;
- In-house training and unlimited external training budget;
- Colleague awarded bonus scheme;
- Generous pension;
- Unlimited annual leave and flexible approach to work time, balancing a healthy work life balance.
New perks added frequently, reflecting being part of an exciting and innovative young business.
The candidate must live within commuting distance to Cheltenham, Gloucestershire or be willing to relocate.
Being part of a young company offers excellent opportunities to be a part of a growing SME with clear strategic direction and opportunities to grow with the business.
In the first instance please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com including the location you are based and salary expectation.
This is an open-ended advertisement, so we reserve the right to close to new applications at any time. We aim to have the new positions filled by December 2023. However, we are always open to stand out candidates at any time of year.
What’s it like to work at Ecology by Design?
Take a look at a short video of what it is like to work with us
Read our interview with Ben Gardner | Director | Ecology by Design